How Often Should You Get Dental Cleanings and Exams?
A busy schedule makes it easy to ignore a reminder to go for dental exams and cleanings near you. Sometimes, the twice-yearly visit with your dentist may seem unnecessary. They may cause you to ask how often you should have dental exams and cleanings. Continue reading to learn how often you should have the procedures and the benefits.
How Frequently Should You Get Dental Cleanings and Exams?
The rule of thumb set by dental professionals is that you should see a dentist at least once every six months. These twice-a-year appointments create a chance for the dentist to evaluate your oral health. Dental exams and cleanings in Houston, TX, help prevent dental issues. In addition, they enable early diagnosis and treatment of various oral conditions.
However, some people need to visit a dentist more often. Their lifestyle habits, oral hygiene, and medical conditions usually pose a greater risk of dental issues. Individuals who should go every three months for dental exams and cleanings vary. They include those with issues such as:
- Gum disease. Dental exams and cleanings are important in preventing gum disease and detecting the early signs. Frequent professional cleanings focus on reversing, preventing progression, and managing periodontal diseases. They help to prevent tooth loss and health problems associated with gum infections.
- Smoking. People who smoke or use tobacco products need frequent dental checkups and cleanings. The nicotine in tobacco interferes with oral health. It also increases the risk for oral health issues such as oral cancer and gum disease. Regular cleanings also help smokers prevent teeth staining and discoloration.
- Diabetes. People with diabetes need dental exams and cleanings every three months. The procedures help control the effects of blood sugar levels in the mouth. Dental cleanings also help regulate the blood sugar levels in the patient’s body.
- Pregnancy. An increase in hormones during pregnancy leads to the need for more than twice-yearly dental checkups for the woman. The procedures prevent adverse effects of the hormones on the mouth. They help maintain proper oral hygiene, which is crucial for the baby and the mother-to-be.
- High risk for plaque build-up. When prone to plaque build-up, you are more likely to have tooth decay, tooth loss, bad breath, and gum disease. Dental exams and cleanings near you help control plaque build-up and its effects.
- Weak immune response. People with such an issue need these procedures to maintain good oral health. The dentist checks for developing dental problems caused by a weakened immune system. This expert then provides the necessary treatment.
Benefits of Routine Dental Cleanings and Exams
- The procedures help to prevent gum disease, reverse gingivitis and manage periodontitis.
- You are assured of a beautiful smile when you undergo the treatments frequently. Your teeth will remain stronger, healthy, and whiter due to the checkups and cleanings.
- Routine dental exams give a dentist near you a chance to diagnose oral health issues. The expert will use various diagnostic tools and techniques to check for oral cancer, gum disease, or cavities. They check for jaw problems, impacted teeth, misaligned teeth, and signs of bruxism. Your dentist will perform or recommend necessary treatments.
- During dental exams and cleanings in Houston, TX, the dentist scrutinizes your teeth. They will note any problems with existing dental appliances or tooth restorations. The experts will detect and repair issues such as broken or lost fillings or faulty dentures.
- The maintenance helps prevent oral health problems such as cavities and tooth loss.
- These procedures save you money on treatment costs. They nip potential oral problems before they develop into more significant issues.
- Dental cleanings give you fresh breath by cleaning bacteria that lead to foul mouth odor. They also improve your overall health.
- Individuals are educated on maintaining better oral health. They are also taught about the effects of their lifestyle choices on their oral health.
- The dental checkups help keep your dental health records current. The extensive records are invaluable when a dental emergency arises. The documents will help your new dentist keep track of your oral health when you switch dentists.
Do not put off getting your routine dental exams and cleanings any longer. Instead, contact our team at The Dentists at 650 Heights for dental exams and cleanings.